Russell W. Hall, J.D., LL.M. (Tax)
Board Certified – Estate Planning and Probate Law
Texas Board of Legal Specialization
A native Houstonian, Russell attended Bellaire High School and Rice University before joining the U.S. Department of Justice, Immigration & Naturalization Service. After several years as a special agent (criminal investigator), he left to attend the University of Houston Law Center.
Licensed to practice law in 1994, Russell began his legal career at Gulf Coast Legal Foundation, where he represented indigent clients regarding landlord-tenant, consumer rights, land title, and related real estate and commercial law issues.
In 2003 Russell returned to the University of Houston Law Center, where he was admitted to the Masters of Law Program. He was awarded an LL.M. (Tax) in June 2006. His thesis addresses some of his favorite clients: lottery winners.
Since 2014 Russell has served the State Bar of Texas as the editor and project director of the Texas Probate System.
U.S. Tax Court, 2004
U.S. Supreme Court, U.S. Court of Appeals Fifth Circuit, 2000
Texas and U.S. District Court, Southern District of Texas, 1994
University of Houston Law Center, LL.M. (Tax), 2006
University of Houston Law Center, J.D., 1993
Rice University, B.A., 1986
State Bar of Texas
Member, Sections on: International Law; Litigation; Oil, Gas & Energy Resources Law; Real Estate Probate and Trust Law; Taxation Law.
State Bar College
Houston Bar Association
Member, Sections on: International Law; Litigation; Oil, Gas and Mineral; Probate, Trusts & Estate; Real Estate; Taxation.
American Bar Association
Member, Sections on: General Practice, Solo & Small Firm; International Law; Law Practice Management; Real Property, Probate and Trust Law, Taxation.
Houston Business and Estate Planning Council; Houston Estate and Financial Forum; Houston Chapter—Society of Financial Service Professionals
Director 2011-2018; Past President
Houston, Texas, 1963
Hardy v. 11702 Memorial, Ltd., 176 S.W.3d 266 (Tex. App.—Houston [1st Dist.] Jul. 15, 2004, no pet .).
Law Related Publications, Academic Appointments and Honors
- Author and speaker for the State Bar of Texas 2006 Building Blocks of Wills, Estates and Probate Course
- R.C. § 103 and Exclusion of Interest on Texas Lottery Prize Installments, presented September 26, 2006 to the Wednesday Tax Forum, Houston, Texas
- Planning Committee for the State Bar of Texas 2007 Building Blocks of Wills, Estates and Probate Course
- Author and speaker for the State Bar of Texas 2007 Building Blocks of Wills, Estates and Probate Course
- Author and speaker for the State Bar of Texas 2007 Advanced Estate Planning and Probate Course
- Author and speaker for the TSCPA CPE Foundation 2007 CPE Family Conference
- Author for the American Bar Association 2008 Midyear Meeting, Taxation Section
- Editorial board member of The Advocate, the journal of the State Bar of Texas Litigation Section, 2007-2012
- Associate editor, Texas Probate System (4th ed. 2014)
- Editor and project director, Texas Probate System (4th ed. 2015 and 2018 supplement)
- Author and speaker for the State Bar of Texas 2017 webcast and Society FSP, Houston Chapter 2018 panel discussion, A Fiduciary’s Duty to Insure and the Insurance Agent’s Duty to Advise (presented Mar 6, 2018, to Society FSP, Houston Chapter)